Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone


Of my top five strengths, gratitude gives me a “feeling of excitement”. I can say “This is the real me” when it comes to gratitude. Gratitude means being aware of the good things that happen in life. I can say that I am a very grateful person, because I say “Thank you” on a daily basis. But I also realize that my life in general is going well, and I am grateful for that. However, I plan to use this particular strength of mine in a different way this week in order to step out of my comfort zone. Normally, I would say “thank you” to someone because I am grateful for what they have done to me, and to be polite and respectful. For example, if someone held the door open for me, I would normally say “thank you”. But, my plan in using this certain strength is to affirm that person in addition to saying “thank you”. If and when I affirm someone, I plan on saying something to make their day better. If I don’t know this person, I would say something along the lines of  “Thank you, I hope you have a great day!” or something as simple as “I like your outfit”. However, if I know this person and I am friends with them, I would tell them face to face how much they mean to me and how much I appreciate them. It isn’t very common for people to always express gratitude because it may be awkward sometimes, especially if it be telling them in person. Many people feel that it is easier to compliment and say thank you over text or e-mail because it is less awkward. However, in order to put my strength to good use, I will step out of my comfort zone this week and hopefully be able to  affirm a stranger or a friend at least once a day to express my gratitude. I hope that expressing this strength of mine will lead to new friendships as well as being my constant reminder that life is good.


Samantha Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment